The SoftStep 2 hardware incorporates a number of changes, including:
- New cruciform key shape — including the Nav Pad.
- Raised back row of keys for easier access.
- Keys use LEDs for lighting, not EL wire.
- Faster internal processor.
- State recall in Standalone mode.
Other than the above, each version should act exactly the same. The devices even show up as the same name ("SSCOM") so any old projects/sessions/setups made with SoftStep 1 should work with SoftStep 2 (assuming they're using the same preset).